Sleep is crucial to an athlete's overall performance. However, sleep can be a hard metric to track and control - especially for student athletes. Ways to enhance sleep isn't always a one size fits all. So, we complied a list of different tips to help your athletes get in those important z's.
You want a cave-like environment
1. A quiet space. Use earplugs if needed.
2. A dark room with very little to no light source
3. A cool room - between 60 - 67 degrees Fahrenheit
4. A room without a clock. Turn your clock away from you so you aren't tempted to watch the clock
1. Avoid caffeine up to 4 hours before bed time
2. Implement a wind-down routine
3. Practice visualization and meditation exercises
4. Unplug your devices and stay off screens near bed time
5. Reduce alcohol intake
6. Maintain a sleep schedule
7. Get daily sunshine and fresh air
For more information on how to enhance your athletes sleep check out these great resources:
Topics: Performance Trends